Thursday, March 29, 2012

Walk The Walk


Starting out on the right foot with my BIG SKINNY IDEA, I took a lunch break for salad and a lovely stroll around the neighborhood following my own advice.  Slinging a timer around my neck, I set it for 15 minutes, planning to walk until it buzzed, then turning around to make it a full 30 minutes.  Skies are grey today with a crisp temperature so I dug out a knit scarf and gloves to keep cozy, donned my shades and took off.  Utterly invigorating is all I can say!  The birds are atwitter with springtime activities providing delightful background music.

I found myself stirring up a long-ago memory -- as a young mother I remember a neighbor who took her baby for a walk in a spindly little stroller each day.  She was a fast walker and put many miles on that stroller.  Each day she walked we saw her little one sitting taller in the seat.  This young mom looked fit and strong and seemed to be flourishing with the daily exercise.  Pretty soon she was sporting a baby bump.  Eventually she carried a baby on her back and a new stronger stroller in front with her much bigger toddler as happy as ever to be outside in the fresh air.  Nothing seemed to slow her down!  I wonder why it never occurred to me to get my own stroller out?  If you have tiny kids you can do the same thing.  Bigger kids?  Have them don skates and glide along as you walk.  Not so tranquil, but think how good that will do them to burn up some pent up energy!  If you have a dog you have an instant walking companion whose unconditional love will increase exponentially once you reach for the leash.  How can you carve out 30 minutes for a walk today?

Serendipitously on my walk today, I happened upon a chunk of teal blue sidewalk chalk left to dissolve in the weather and tucked it into my pocket.  First I imagined finding a child who might enjoy it, but then the girlish imp inside me thought of something more immediate.  Inside my front gate I chalked a love note on the steps for Mr. Toss & Simmer to find on his way to the front door tonight.  He's bound to smile as a result of this walk, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment