Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Salad A Day Keeps The Inches Away



I'm one of those types who start new things on Jan 1st or at least on Mondays!  It's the third day of the week and the third month of the year -- which happens to sound like a perfect time for a new beginning so I'm changing when I start new things right this minute.  I don't have to wait until Monday -- today is the day!

Here's the deal...

Weight loss.  Most of us want some.  Most of us have had some.

Maintenance.  Now that's where most of us have waned (and whined!) big time.  "I've lost 20 pounds (or 40 or 60 or ??) 20 times -- I just can't keep it off!"

In my grown up job, I put together weight loss meals.  Through the course of a day I speak with people who are really committed to taking off excess weight and vow they will not gain it back this time.  I know they REALLY, REALLY mean it.  Unfortunately it's kinda like swimming upstream against a strong current when we're done with the diet and we strike out on our own.  Little by little, those pounds come creeping back!

My big fat, err I mean, SKINNY idea?  Simple.  A main dish salad at lunch and a main dish soup at dinner through the week, add a fruit salad that tastes like dessert and then eat as you please on the weekend.  Oh, and we'll take a brisk little walk each day...more about that later!  For now just think SIMPLE ROUTINE = SIMPLE MAINTENANCE.

As for salads, I'm not talking a wedge of iceberg lettuce with a handful of cherry tomatoes nor am I talking canned soup loaded with salt and who knows what??  We're going to make this interesting or why else would you want keep it up? 

I'll post a salad recipe one day, a soup the next and then a fruit dessert.  If you make several servings, you'll end up having more meals than days to eat them which means there will be days you'll only toss and simmer! 

Rule 1:  Make it delicious!  I'll come up with combinations that please me.  If you have an aversion to any ingredient, chances are you can eliminate it or substitute something that pleases you. 

Rule 2:  Make every calorie count!  Any ingredient must carry it's weight here.  Cheese, nuts and olives make a salad life worth living so we'll use them but, oh so carefully!

Rule 3:  Strive for optimal nutrition -- high fiber, healthy fats, whole grains and good stuff like that.

Rule 4:  Aim to drink 8 glasses of water each day.

Rule 5:  ALWAYS have a snack close at hand.  This is where an 'apple a day' fits in perfectly! 

We're on our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment